Hello, everyone, and welcome to July! Did you know that July is a silly month? True fact. One time I was hanging out with July at its house, and it had the thermostat up way too high. I asked it why and it told me it was so that we could have an excuse to throw ice cream at each other. I pointed out that ice cream, while delicious, is sticky and kind of gross when melted. July responded by throwing a full tub of vanilla ice cream in my face.
These days I prefer to hang out with cooler months, like August or November. Whatever, July. I suppose I should still let you know what happened this first week. This recap is brought to you by Ben, who isn’t so fond of vanilla either.
- June is over! June is done! June has gone! Did you win? Lindsey set off some fireworks in your honor, and ran down some awesome Camp stats in your NaNoMail inbox!
- Camp NaNo’s gremlins decided to pull one last prank on all our winning campers over the weekend, and disappeared the winning page. Thankfully, our tech counselors, Dan and Jezra, were on the job. Here’s how to get back to the page of guts and glory.
- We’re having an early bird special on RSVPs for our annual Night of Writing Dangerously: $50 off if you manage to hit your fundraising goal during July!
- There’s a mysterious teaser for this summer’s super incredible donor goodies over on our Facebook page… My favorite guess: the monkey butler. If we sent all those out, how would we get anything done in the office menagerie?
- Students under the age of 18! Want to immerse yourself in the camping experience as you get amped for August? Check out the Cabin forums over on YWP, and bring your pets—hippogriffs, squid, and beagles welcome.
- A Stanford professor put out the theory that reading novels is like taking your brain to the gym. I posit that writing novels is like taking your brain to the Olympics! The gauntlet has been thrown down.
- One of our favorite webcomics, Strong Female Protagonist, has just launched its second issue! It follows the adventures of a young American with super powers and a crippling sense of social injustice. Give it a read!
- It was the Fourth of July! I had a totally sweet Space Fire Monster Explosions Cookout Independence Party.
This weekend, July continues! Fortunately, the month seems to have forgotten about me now. I plan to keep a low profile to avoid any airborne dairy products. Hopefully I can last until August!