This week, we saw the launch of August’s session of Camp NaNoWriMo. In celebration, let us enumerate a few of the many things we love about Camp.
1. The guaranteed soap opera brought about by the neighborhood Yeti, who is very sensitive for someone so tall and hairy.
2. Keeping an eye on those virtual Paper Plate Awards awarded at the end of Camp. I will be this session’s “Camper Most Likely to Write a Happenin’ Sock Hop Into Their Novel” if it’s the last thing I do.
3. You campers, who never fail to make Camp a wonderful experience, and come up with great ideas, like Oreo smorgasbords, time travel romances, and freeze-dried Yeti meat. Muahaha.
This week’s recap is brought to you by Tim, who is a little delirious from writing all night, and working all day, and by Sonja, who is out-illustrating Ben by a mile.
- We launched! In this first week’s pep talk, Lindsey gives out gold medals for Best Beginners to everyone who had the gumption to enter the noveling race this August.
- Scrivener left a present in your bunk bed (a welcome one, not the kind the raccoons seem so fond of leaving). 20% off if you use it by September 7, and winners will get 50% off!
- Campers who’ve signed up for StayClassy are gathering up under the leadership of Professor Jones to do some fund-raiding to keep Camp going. Find out more details here!
Facebook & Twitter:
- Over on Facebook, we asked you to share your August novel plots, or your plans for November.
- @CampNaNoWriMo asked you to share your favorite line of your novel so far.
- @NaNoWordSprints ran word sprints during the first two days of August to get you started. We’ll be back with more hopefully, soon! If you missed it, feel free to go back and use some of the prompts there. I, personally, would love to hear about the further adventures of Whale Man.
- The early-bird special for the Night of Writing Dangerously may be over, but you can still join us for a night of derring-do and noveling on November 17.
- Thanks to your help, we raised $33,855 during our Summer Fund Drive, which is inspiring fits of joy that are manifesting super, super weirdly. Watch our Thank You video and you’ll see what I mean.
In the Office & Elsewhere:
- We spent all day moving out of our warehouse, which means, sadly, the role of the shipper gentleman is going by the wayside. If you ordered something within the last week or so, too, your package may be delayed as we complete the move.
- My dog, Charlie, came into the office a couple times this week and was a total nut. Here is a picture of one of his quieter moments.
Thanks for reading, and have an awesome Camp! We’ll see you around the campfire; please have page five of the Camp Songbook memorized, the song titled “Whoomp! That’s What I Wrote.”